Home insurance gives you the peace of mind knowing that, in the event of an insured loss, your Property and Personal Possessions can be replaced with the minimum of loss to you.
Furthermore, if you have a mortgage your Mortgage provider with usually insist that the property is adequately insured and that their interest is noted on the policy in the event of a loss. That way they can protect their investment.

You should insure your contents for the amount it would cost to replace them with new items. To estimate the value of the contents in your house, go from room to room (including all sheds, garages and out-houses) and work out the cost of replacing the items in each room. This should include carpets and curtains. Add the totals to get your Contents Sum Insured.

Contents include all items belonging to you or any other member of the household including personal items and items of specific value which can be physically removed from the building.
Individual high risk items will be covered in your home for up to 5% of the contents sum insured. The total value of these high risk items cannot be more than 50% of the contents sum insured. if this is not the case you will need to contact our call centre on 01 290 8833.

High risk items are specifically jewellery, items of precious metal, pictures, watches, furs, works of art, television, video and audio equipment, home-computer, photographic equipment, stamps or coins.

Note - The Building Sum insured does not represent the market value of your house.

It represents the reinstatement value and is calculated by working out the total cost of rebuilding your property including construction costs, architects fees, surveyors fees, site clearance fees and any other associated building costs.

If you are unsure of how to calculate the rebuilding cost, it is advisable to contact a Chartered Surveyor who will be qualified to advise you in this area. In addition you can review advice on the website of the Society of Chartered Surveyors (SCS) at www.scs.ie.

This is a regulation, which was introduced to establish a minimum standard for the installation of burglar alarms. If your burglar alarm has been fitted by an authorised contractor to EN50131 Standard (old IS199) you should have been given a certificate to verify this at installation.

Getcover customers can avail of a discount if their installed alarm conforms to this standard. If your alarm system conforms to the above standard please select yes in the list box provided.

Please Note:In the event of a claim you may be asked to provide the required certification. Loss or Damage by stealing is excluded unless the alarm is set and in operation when your house is unoccupied.

All Risks cover is an optional cover available on a household policy to cover valuable items lost or damaged while inside or outside your home

Please note, a purchase receipt and/or valuation will be required in the event of a claim. A €250 excess applies to this section of the policy.

All Risks cover is an optional cover available on a household policy to cover valuable items lost or damaged while inside or outside your home.

Unspecified all Risks allows you chose cover for up to €3,000 or €5,000 with single article limits of €1,000 or €2,000 respectively. This gives you the benefit of All Risks cover without the need for identifying each individual item you want covered on the policy.

This cover excludes bicycles, camcorders, mobile phones or hearing aids which must be included as specified all risks items irrespective of value.

Please note, a purchase receipt and/or valuation will be required in the event of a claim.

A €250 excess applies to this section of the policy.

Aviva claims reporting procedure

If you have experienced a problem that may result in a claim, you can call the help in a home emergency service (if it is an emergency) and, if necessary, the police. Make sure to phone the Aviva Property Claims Service on 1890 666 888 as soon as you can for help and guidance with your claim. A dedicated specialist will take details of the damage or loss. There are no forms to fill and some types of claims are settled over the phone. If your insurer needs to assess the damage or loss, they will make an appointment for a loss adjuster to visit you.

Help in a home emergency cover (Aviva policies only)

If there is a home emergency, we can help 24 hours a day, 365 days a year through our service provider, MAPFRE ASSISTANCE Agency Ireland. An emergency is an unexpected or sudden event which damages your home and which needs immediate action to prevent further damage and to make it safe and secure. Freephone 1800 565 556

Liberty Insurance claims reporting procedure

In the event that your property is lost or damaged you should:
Check your schedule and policy document to ensure that the loss is covered under your insurances.

In the event of your property being stolen or maliciously damaged, or if you lose a valuable item, it is important that you inform the Gardai as soon as you notice the loss or damage.

Please contact our appointed claims handling company, Getcover claims at Liberty on 1890 907 690 or send them an email stating your name and policy number with details of the loss to getcoverclaims@libertyinsurance.ie.

Claims Contact Details:
Getcover Claims Department,
Liberty Insurance,
Dublin Road,

Phone: 1890 907 690
Email: getcoverclaims@libertyinsurance.ie

If at the time of the loss or damage, your sums insured are less than the full reinstatement or replacement cost, then you will be your own insurer for the difference. Your insurer will only pay their share of the loss or damage which your sum insured bears to such cost.

For example:
You insure an item for 50% of its actual replacement value.
You experience a loss to the value of €50,000 in relation to the item.
In this case your insurer will only pay 50% of the cost of the loss - €25,000.

Call Us
01 290 8833

Monday to Friday
9am to 5pm