Hostels may not be glamorous but they are affordable! These are some tips to ensure you have a hassle free holiday while hostelling:
• Wear a money belt: You won’t have access to a hotel room safe so a money belt will help protect your cash, credit cards, passport and money. However the right travel insurance will cover you should the worst happen.
• Pay in advance: Pay for as much as you can in advance to minimise the cash you have to carry.
• Travel light: Leave all unnecessary valuables behind.
• Research the hostel’s facilities: Facilities vary from hostel to hostel; some might have laundry facilities while others mightn’t. Some hostels may also require you to bring your own bed sheets!
• Use the hostel common room: Apart from being a great place to meet people it can often provide internet access which can be used to contact relatives. Some hostels also have ‘free food’ shelves which may supply tea, coffee and other light refreshments.
• Copy your documents: It is always a good idea to get your passport or any other important documents photocopied in case of loss or theft.
• Get travel insurance: Travel insurance will look after any potential distractions, such as illness or accidents leaving you to plan and enjoy the experience.
Hostelling allows the tourist to visit numerous destinations for low prices. While any number of mishaps can happen on any holiday, particularly a holiday that involves lots of travel, relative peace of mind can be acquired by finding the right travel insurance for you.
For great value travel insurance visit Getcover.ie’s travel insurance section